Monday, November 5, 2012

Who is it going to be?

   The second and so far my favorite assignment of the year was the mixed media collage. This year since it is the presidential election our goal was to make a collage representing either who we wanted as president, Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, or a topic being debated by either president. 
   I chose to express who I wanted as president which is Barack Obama. I started out by transferring a picture of the American flag, but instead of the top corner being blue with stars it was the Obama logo. Once I had the foundation I built around it. I lightly painted over the left half of the flag in black, letting some of the flag peek through. I then transferred a silhouette of the back of Obama's head onto a white piece of paper and took that transfer and glued in onto the bottom left corner of my collage. 
   I had most of my pictures and materials before I started the collage, but I decided to look through some magazines and newspapers which was a smart choice. I found newspaper articles of Obama and cut them out and transferred them onto the right half of my collage. I then found a picture of silhouettes of a couple men that seemed to be looking out into the horizon. I transferred this picture onto the half that wasn't black, but right near where the black stops. The coolest thing happened which was a perfect surprise. The black silhouettes that I thought would turn black didn't transfer. Only the outer part of the silhouettes transferred. So the middle part of the figures were the flag and newspaper articles. 
   The collage was coming together quite nicely at this point, but it was still not done. I decided to use the Obama logo and make in into the logo for Obama Care. I achieved this with paint. Once that was done it seemed to take over the collage. So I covered the logo up with a tissue. This created some what a sheen to the logo making it a lot less BAM! After this step I cut out the state of Hawaii where Obama is from and glued in onto the collage. Another amazing surprise occurred. I happened to glue the state in a way where it looked like a "thought line" coming from the silhouette of Obama to the health care symbol. I didn't even realize this until Ms. Kiick pointed it out to me. 
   At this point I  was almost done. The last major thing I wanted to include was Obama's slogan: Yes We Can. With the help of Ms. Kiick, I very lightly using a dry brush and paint wrote it onto the top left corner of my collage. I also decided to only show half of each letter like it was falling onto the collage. 
   Little details made this collage pop. For instance when I covered half the flag with black paint it made the collage look a bit "blocky." So I went in with a dry brush and paint and connected the lighter side to the darker side. Another little detail was softening up Obama's silhouette by using this dry brush technique yet again. I also used, can you guess, dry brush to make my little men silhouettes to stand out better.
   Overall I was overjoyed with the finished product. I didn't know that I had it in me. I can say that it might have helped that I was passionate about the topic, but it was exciting to see me ideas jump to paper. 

Picture of my 2012 presidential collage
Another picture of my 2012 presidential collage


  

No comments:

Post a Comment